A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garretty

A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.
~Marion C. Garretty

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Amazing banana bread recipe!


I found myself with a large bunch of banana bread ready bananas this week. I imparted on a quest for a good recipe for lowfat banana bread, as I wanted to make it, but didn't really want all the fat and calories to go with it. I found a recipe that looked good and I made some modifications. I don't use splenda and the recipe called for splenda brown sugar blend. So I used regular light brown sugar. In a recipe like this it doesn't make that much of a difference on calories per serving. I also split the flour 40% white flour, 60% whole wheat flour, used olive oil instead of canola oil, and added 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the results were amazing. I LOVE this recipe and it was great. One batch makes 24 mini-muffins, or 12 muffins, or one Large loaf of bread (I have the 10 inch calphalon pans). The nutrition specs are:

For mini muffins-
calories- 71
Fat- 0.9 g
fiber- 1.1 g
protein- 2.1 g

For Muffins or 1/12 of a loaf of bread (the large loaves easily make 12-14 slices that are at least 1/2 inch thick.)-
calories-142
fat- 1.8 g
fiber- 2.2 g
protein 4.2 g

Here is the recipe! Enjoy! Let me know what you think if you make it!

LOW FAT OATMEAL BANANA BREAD/MUFFINS:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 c. brown sugar (or if you prefer 1/4 c. splenda brown sugar blend)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 egg (beaten)
2 egg whites (beaten)
1 c. mashed ripe banana
1 c. dry oats
1/4 c. unsweetened apple sauce
cinnamon
nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Beat the egg and egg whites in a small bowl. In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients except for the cinnamon and nutmeg and oats. Add the eggs, oil, and applesauce to the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer. Add banana and beat until mixed. Add oats and beat until mixed. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste (approx. 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg). Spray bread pan or muffin pans with cooking spray (or use paper/foil muffin cups). Pour all batter in bread pan, or divide into 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins. Cook in oven for following times:
Bread approx 45 min.
Muffins approx 25 min.
Mini muffins approx 15 min.

No comments: